||Byung-Gon Chun (전병곤)
Computer Science and Engineering Department
Seoul National University
bgchun at snu dot ac dot kr
I am an Assistant Professor in the Computer Science and Engineering Department at Seoul National University (SNU). My research interests broadly lie in operating systems and networked systems. My current research focuses on big data analytics, cloud computing, and mobile systems and security. You can check my current research (REEF, CAY, MIST, ASA, etc.) at my research group site. I am a recipient of the 2014 Microsoft Research Faculty Fellowship and the 2015 Naver Young Faculty Award.
Before joining SNU, I was a Principal Scientist at Microsoft. Before joining Microsoft, I led the systems research group at Yahoo! Research Silicon Valley for six months and worked as a Research Scientist for one and half years. My Yahoo! research projects include Mobius (data management platform for cloud-connected mobile apps) and workload-driven big data systems.
Before joining Yahoo! Research, I was a Research Scientist at Intel Research Berkeley from 2008 to 2011. I worked on CloneCloud, TaintDroid, and RouteBricks projects. Prior to that, I was a postdoctoral researcher at the International Computer Science Institute. I have a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley, an M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University, and a B.S. and an M.S. from the Electronic Engineering Department at Seoul National University.
During my Ph.D., I worked on trusted primitives for (Byzantine) fault tolerant systems (Attested Append-only Memory, Bonafide, which is my dissertation work), as well as peer-to-peer systems (Oceanstore, OpenDHT) and new Internet architectures (DONA).
I’ve been lucky to work with many smart people who are now affiliated with Apple, Brown University, Cisco, Cornell University, Duke University, Facebook, Georgia Institute of Technology, Google, Harvard University, HP Labs, Intel Labs, Microsoft, MIT, NC State University, Seoul National University, Technicolor, The Penn State University, Twitter, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Santa Barbara, University of Pennsylvania, University of Texas at Austin, University of Washington, VMWare, and Yahoo!.
I am looking for PhD students and postdoctoral researchers who are interested in working on big data systems, cloud computing, and system security.
Service – program committee member
ACM EuroSys 2017, WWW 2017, USENIX OSDI 2016, USENIX ATC 2016, USENIX HotCloud 2016, IEEE ICDCS 2016, IEEE INFOCOM 2016, ACM ApSys 2015, USENIX Security 2015, IEEE ICDCS 2015, IEEE IC2E 2015, HotCloud 2014, ACM MCS 2014, IEEE ICDCS 2014, WWW 2014, ACM SOCC 2013, ACM ASPLOS 2013, IEEE ICPADS 2013 (Vice Chair), WISA 2013, ACM SOCC 2012, ACM CCSW 2012, HotCloud 2012, USENIX NSDI 2011, HotCloud 2011, ACM CCSW 2011, ACM MobiHeld 2011, HotDep 2011, WRAITS 2011, ACM SOCC 2010, HotDep 2010, WRAITS 2010, ACM MCS 2010
- Byung-Gon Chun, Brian Cho, Beomyeol Jeon, Joo Seong Jeong, Gunhee Kim, Joo Yeon Kim, Woo-Yeon Lee, Yun Seong Lee, Markus Weimer, Gyeong-In Yu. Dolphin: Runtime Optimization for Distributed Machine Learning. ICML ML Sys ’16 workshop, June 2016.
- Jinkyu Kim, Heonseok Ha, Byung-Gon Chun, Sungroh Yoon, Sang K. Cha. Collaborative Analytics for Data Silos. 32nd IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2016).
- Daejin Choi, Jinyoung Han, Taejoong Chung, Yong-Yeol Ahn, Byung-Gon Chun, Ted “Taekyoung” Kwon. Characterizing Conversation Patterns in Reddit: From the Perspectives of Content Properties and User Participation Behaviors. ACM Conference on Online Social Networks (COSN 2015), November 15.
- Yongin Kwon, Sangmin Lee, Hayoon Yi, Donghyun Kwon, Seungjun Yang, Byung-Gon Chun, Ling Huang, Petros Maniatis, Mayur Naik, Yunheung Paek. Mantis: Efficient Predictions of Execution Time, Energy Usage, Memory Usage and Network Usage on Smart Mobile Devices. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 14, no. 10, October 2015.
- Markus Weimer, Yingda Chen, Byung-Gon Chun, Tyson Condie, Carlo Curino, Chris Douglas, Yunseong Lee, Tony Majestro, Dahlia Malkhi , Sergiy Matusevych, Brandon Myers, Shravan Narayanamurthy, Raghu Ramakrishnan, Sriram Rao, Russell Sears, Beysim Sezgin, Julia Wang. REEF: Retainable Evaluator Execution Framework. ACM SIGMOD, June 2015.
- Joo Seong Jeong, Woo-Yeon Lee, Yunseong Lee, Youngseok Yang, Brian Cho, Byung-Gon Chun. Elastic Memory: Bring Elasticity Back To In-Memory Big Data Analytics. HotOS 2015, May 2015.
- Kay Ousterhout, Ryan Rasti, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Scott Shenker, Byung-Gon Chun. Making Sense of Performance in Data Analytics Frameworks. 12th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI 2015), May 2015.
- William Enck, Peter Gilbert, Seungyeop Han, Vasant Tendulkar, Byung-Gon Chun, Landon P. Cox, Jaeyeon Jung, Patrick McDaniel, Anmol Sheth. TaintDroid: An Information-Flow Tracking System for Real-time Privacy Monitoring on Smartphones. ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCS), June 2014.
- Jinyoung Han, Daejin Choi, Byung-Gon Chun, Ted “Taekyoung” Kwon, Hyun-chul Kim, Yanghee Choi. Collecting, Organizing and Sharing Pins in Pinterest: Interest-driven or Social-driven? ACM SIGMETRICS, June 2014.
- William Enck, Peter Gilbert, Byung-Gon Chun, Landon P. Cox, Jaeyeon Jung, Patrick McDaniel, Anmol N. Sheth. TaintDroid: An Information-Flow Tracking System for Realtime Privacy Monitoring on Smartphones. Communications of the ACM (CACM), Research Highlights, March 2014.
- Wook Song, Nosub Sung, Byung-Gon Chun, Jihong Kim. Reducing Energy Consumption of Smartphones Using User-Perceived Response Time Analysis. 15th Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (HotMobile 2014), February 2014.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Tyson Condie, Carlo Curino, Chris Douglas, Sergiy Matusevych, Brandon Myers, Shravan Narayanamurthy, Raghu Ramakrishnan, Sriram Rao, Josh Rosen, Russell Sears, Markus Weimer. REEF: Retainable Evaluator Execution Framework (Demo Paper). 39th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB 2013), August 2013.
- Yongin Kwon, Sangmin Lee, Hayoon Yi, Donghyun Kwon, Seungjun Yang, Byung-Gon Chun, Ling Huang, Petros Maniatis, Mayur Naik, Yunheung Paek. Mantis: Automatic Performance Prediction for Smartphone Applications. 2013 USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX 2013), June 2013.
- Sangjin Han, Scott Marshall, Byung-Gon Chun, Sylvia Ratnasamy. MegaPipe: A New Programming Interface for Scalable Network I/O. 10th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI 2012), October 2012.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Carlo Curino, Russell Sears, Alexander Shraer, Samuel Madden, Raghu Ramakrishnan. Mobius: Unified Messaging and Data Service for Mobile Apps. 10th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (MobiSys 2012), June 2012.
- Peter Gilbert, Byung-Gon Chun, Landon P. Cox, Jaeyeon Jung. Automated Security Validation of Mobile Apps at App Markets. 2nd International Workshop on Mobile Cloud Computing and Services (MCS 2011), June 2011.
- Jayanthkumar Kannan, Petros Maniatis, Byung-Gon Chun. Secure Data Preservers for Web Services. 2nd USENIX Conference on Web Application Development (WebApps 2011), June 2011.
- Gunho Lee, Byung-Gon Chun, Randy Katz. Heterogeneity-Aware Resource Allocation and Scheduling in the Cloud. 3rd Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud 2011), June 2011.
- Jayanthkumar Kannan, Gautam Altekar, Petros Maniatis, Byung-Gon Chun. Making Programs Forget: Enforcing Lifetime For Sensitive Data. HotOS 2011, May 2011.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Sunghwan Ihm, Petros Maniatis, Mayur Naik, Ashwin Patti. CloneCloud: Elastic Execution between Mobile Device and Cloud. 6th European Conference on Computer Systems (EuroSys 2011), April 2011.
- Petros Maniatis, Byung-Gon Chun. Small Trusted Primitives for Dependable Systems. Operating Systems Review, January 2011.
- Ling Huang, Jinzhu Jia, Bin Yu, Byung-Gon Chun, Petros Maniatis, Mayur Naik. Predicting Execution Time of Computer Programs Using Sparse Polynomial Regression. 24th Annual Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS 2010).
- William Enck, Peter Gilbert, Byung-Gon Chun, Landon P. Cox, Jaeyeon Jung, Patrick McDaniel, Anmol N. Sheth. TaintDroid: An Information-Flow Tracking System for Realtime Privacy Monitoring on Smartphones. 9th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI 2010), October 2010.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Petros Maniatis. Dynamically Partitioning Applications between Weak Devices and Clouds. 1st ACM Workshop on Mobile Cloud Computing and Services (MCS 2010), June 2010.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Gianluca Iannaccone, Giuseppe Iannaccone, Randy Katz, Gunho Lee, and Luca Niccolini. An Energy Case for Hybrid Datacenters. Operating Systems Review, March 2010.
- Lucian Popa, Byung-Gon Chun, Ion Stoica, Jaideep Chandrashekar, and Nina Taft. Macroscope: End-Point Approach to Networked Application Dependency Discovery. 5th ACM International Conference on Emerging Networking Experiments and Technologies (CoNEXT 2009).
- Mihai Dobrescu, Norbert Egi, Katerina Argyraki, Byung-Gon Chun, Kevin Fall, Gianluca Iannaccone, Allan Knies, Maziar Manesh, and Sylvia Ratnasamy. RouteBricks: Exploiting Parallelism to Scale Software Routers. 22nd ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP 2009), October 2009. Awarded Best Paper!
- Byung-Gon Chun, Gianluca Iannaccone, Giuseppe Iannaccone, Randy Katz, Gunho Lee, and Luca Niccolini. An Energy Case for Hybrid Datacenters. 2nd Workshop on Hot Topics in Power-Aware Computing and Systems (HotPower 2009), October 2009.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Petros Maniatis. Augmented Smart Phone Applications Through Clone Cloud Execution. 12th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems (HotOS XII), May 2009.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Petros Maniatis, Scott Shenker, and John Kubiatowicz. Tiered Fault Tolerance for Long-Term Integrity. 7th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST 2009), February 2009.
- Andrey Ermolinskiy, Daekyeong Moon, Byung-Gon Chun, and Scott Shenker. Minuet: Rethinking Concurrency Control in Storage Area Networks. 7th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST 2009), February 2009.
- Katerina Argyraki, Salman Baset, Byung-Gon Chun, Kevin Fall, Gianluca Iannaccone, Allan Knies, Eddie Kohler, Maziar Manesh, Sergiu Nedveschi, and Sylvia Ratnasamy. Can Software Routers Scale? ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Programmable Routers for Extensible Services of Tomorrow (PRESTO 2008), August 2008.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Petros Maniatis, and Scott Shenker. Diverse Replication for Single-Machine Byzantine-Fault Tolerance. USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX 2008), June 2008.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Sylvia Ratnasamy, and Eddie Kohler. NetComplex: A Complexity Metric for Networked System Designs. 5th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI 2008), April 2008.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Petros Maniatis, Scott Shenker, and John Kubiatowicz. Attested Append-Only Memory: Making Adversaries Stick to their Word. 21st ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP 2007), October 2007.
- Teemu Koponen, Mohit Chawla, Byung-Gon Chun, Andrey Ermolinskiy, Kye Hyun Kim, Scott Shenker, and Ion Stoica. A Data-Oriented (and Beyond) Network Architecture. ACM SIGCOMM 2007, August 2007.
- Cheng Tien Ee, Byung-Gon Chun, Vijay Ramachandran, Kaushik Lakshminarayanan, and Scott Shenker. Resolving Inter-Domain Policy Disputes. ACM SIGCOMM 2007, August 2007.
- Hakim Weatherspoon, Patrick Eaton, Byung-Gon Chun, and John Kubiatowicz. Antiquity: Exploiting a Secure Log for Wide-Area Distributed Storage. 2nd European Conference on Computer Systems (EuroSys 2007), March 2007.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Frank Dabek, Andreas Haeberlen, Emil Sit, Hakim Weatherspoon, M. Frans Kaashoek, John Kubiatowicz, and Robert Morris. Efficient Replica Maintenance for Distributed Storage Systems. 3rd Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), May 2006.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Peter Wu, Hakim Weatherspoon, and John Kubiatowicz. ChunkCast: An Anycast Service for Large Content Distribution. International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS), February 2006.
- Emil Sit, Andreas Haeberlen, Frank Dabek, Byung-Gon Chun, Hakim Weatherspoon, Robert Morris, M. Frans Kaashoek, and John Kubiatowicz. Proactive Replication for Data Durability. International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS), February 2006.
- Sean Rhea, Byung-Gon Chun, John Kubiatowicz, and Scott Shenker. Fixing the Embarrassing Slowness of OpenDHT on PlanetLab. USENIX Workshop on Real, Large Distributed Systems (WORLDS), Dec. 2005. Awarded Best Paper!
- Byung-Gon Chun, Ben Y. Zhao, and John Kubiatowicz. Impact of Neighbor Selection on Performance and Resilience of Structured P2P Networks. International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS), February 2005.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Kamalika Chaudhuri, Hoeteck Wee, Marco Barreno, Christos H. Papadimitriou, and John Kubiatowicz. Selfish Caching in Distributed Systems: A Game-Theoretic Analysis. ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing (PODC), July 2004.
- Byung-Gon Chun, Rodrigo Fonseca, Ion Stoica, and John Kubiatowicz. Characterizing Selfishly Constructed Overlay Routing Networks. IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), March 2004.
- Byung-Gon Chun and Mary Baker. Evaluation of Packet Scheduling Algorithms in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. ACM Mobile Computing and Communications Review (MC2R), Volume 6, Number 3, July 2002.
- Byung-Gon Chun and Byeong Gi Lee. Auxiliary Timeout and Selective Packet Discard Schemes to Improve TCP Performance in PCN Environment. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), June 1997.
- Gianluca Iannaccone, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Maziar Manesh, Katerina Argyraki, Byung-Gon Chun, Kevin Fall, Allan Knies, Norbert Egi, Mihai Dobrescu, Salman Baset. Scalable Cluster Router. Application 20110016223, filed July 19, 2010 and issued January 20, 2011.
Selected Press Releases
- Microsoft to open source a big data framework called REEF. GigaOM, August 12, 2013.
- Smartphone Apps Spread Personal Info, Study Finds. MSNBC, March 14, 2011.
- Google Android Apps Found to Be Sharing Data. BBC, September 30, 2010.
- 2 out of 3 Android Apps Use Private Data ‘Suspiciously’. The Register, September 30, 2010.
- What’s that Android App Doing with My Data? CNET, September 29, 2010
- Intel Wants to Turn PCs into Router Bricks. TechEYE, July 12, 2010.
- Intel Labs Finds a Way to Create Routers Using Clustered Servers. eWeek, May 3, 2010.
- Intel Clones Your Phone in the Cloud (Data Center in Your Pocket). The Register, June 19, 2009.
- CloneCloud: The Power of Cloud Computing Comes to Mobile Phones. ReadWriteWeb, May 6, 2009.
- Sending Cell Phones into the Cloud. MIT Technology Review, May 1, 2009.